I'm a big Valco amp fan. I keep a little National branded amp in my office that is similar to this Gretsch - same speakers and a similar circuit. These amps aren't powerhouses, but they do have a cool tone, and they look so cool.
This amp was serviced somewhat recently by Don Butler and came to us in better-than-excellent operating and cosmetic condition. The amp works with no issues and the tremolo sounds good. It is loaded with a nice compliment of mostly US made, vintage tubes.
We make sure to check our amps out completely, and when we did we found that there are a couple spots on each speaker that have small glue spots - repairs of worn spots on the cones. There is no noticing this when you hear the amp.
- Color: Two tone gray.
- Dimensions: 16.25"h x 23"w x 8.5"d
- Weight: 26lbs
- Watts: 14
- Date: 1962
- Where date is noted: Serial number, speaker codes, and pots.
- Speaker 1 brand/model: Rola 6" x 11"
- Speaker 1 Code: 285-207
- Speaker 2 brand/model: Rola 6" x 11"
- Speaker 2 code: 285-201
- Speaker 3 brand/model: Rola 3" tweeter
- Speaker 3 code: 285-203
- Extension speaker out?: No
- FX Loop? No
- Reverb or other effects?: Tremolo
- Rectifier tube: 5Y3
- Power tubes: (2) x 6973
- Preamp tubes: (3) x 12AX7
- Pedal: No
- Pots: Original
- Tolex: Original
- Grille: Original
- Knobs: Original
- Handle: Original
- Power cord: Replace w/3 prong grounded cord
- Notes: See picture of replaced capacitor and resisters.