Here we have a somewhat mysterious Les Paul Custom. It plays great, but someone put an inordinate amount of time, effort, and cost into converting it from gold to chrome hardware.
They started with a set of tar back pickups, which I've seen most often in late 70's Gibsons. The pots are from 1980, so my guess is that the pickups are probably from that year as well. People dig these pickups, and this set won't disappoint.
Nearly all the parts are changed. The pickguard, truss rod cover, switch tip, pickup selector ring, and pickup rings are original. The neck pickup ring is cracked. Pickup height adjustment screws are original.
Everything else is changed. The Nashville bridge is a repro. The stopbar could be original from the era, hard to say. Tuners are likely Kluson repros, the knobs are reproductions as well.
When the tuners were changed, the back of the headstock seems to have been buffed. It doesn't look like it was oversprayed, but perhaps the effort was to clean up the work done to fill older tuner mounting screw holes. This has rendered the serial number illegible. The Made in USA stamp and parts of the serial number are there, but I can't make it out with any confidence.
The guitar has the 70's pancake body, three-piece mahogany neck, headstock/logo and top carve of a mid 70's Les Paul, but with the serial number and pot codes it is hard to nail down a date. We're calling it a 1974. I am sure it is not much older than this, if at all, and it can't be newer than 1975 given the features.
There are no breaks or issues with the neck or body. The truss rod is tested and is fully functional.
The guitar came together really well for whomever did all the work. It plays very well and sounds fantastic.
A professional refret was performed at some point, adding to the playability of the guitar. Frets show plenty of life remaining. A brass nut was added as well.
Comes in a brand new Gator case.
- Color: Wine Red
- Weight: 10lbs 3.2ozs
- Body: Mahogany w/Maple Cap
- Neck: Mahogany
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Inlays: Mother Of Pearl Blocks
- Frets: Replaced, Medium Jumbo
- Fret count: 22
- Nut material: Brass
- Nut width: 1 5/8"
- Scale: 24 3/4"
- Radius: 12"
- Neck thickness at 1st fret: 0.84"
- Neck thickness at 12th fret: 1"
- Action 1st String at 12th Fret: 1.25mm
- Action 6th String at 12th Fret: 1.5mm
- String gauge: .010-.046"
- Hardware: Non-Original
- Bridge Pickup: 5k Gibson Tar back Non-Original
- Neck pickup: 7.6k Gibson Tar back Non-Original
- Tuners: Replaced
- Pots: Replaced
- Case: HSC
- Notes: Complete wiring harness, Pickups, Pots, and Switch have been replaced along with the Tuners. Also worthy to note, this 48 year old guitar photographed better than it appears in person, as there is your normal amount of light scratches, some worming and dings along with some slight hazy spots that'd buff out.