SOLD - Fender Stratocaster 1958$0.00
If you've read any of my guitar descriptions, you know that I'm pretty straight up and leave hype to others. That said, this is a nearly perfect example of a '58 Strat that has been tucked away in a studio in the Pacific Northwest since it was purchased from the original owner. As the previous owner put it, this is one of those special guitars. Lots of people say this to me. This time it rings true.
I called the guitar "nearly perfect" because it has been refretted. The work was performed personally by Mike Lull before his passing. The frets are medium in size and are in great shape, ready to play for decades. The work on the frets is impeccable, and the feel is sublime.
The only other "issue" is that the original pickguard cracked, which is very common. It is included in the case and an era appropriate replacement is on the guitar. While the newer pickguard is very clean, it isn't out of place as the rest of the piece is extremely clean.
With these changes out of the way, we get down to nuts and bolts. Being a late '58, the neck is a D shape with some heft that isn't over the top. The edges of the fretboard have that feel that only 50's, hand shaped necks can bring. I just brought in about 10 custom shop Strats, even a couple Masterbuilt guitars. They're great guitars, but I've compared them directly and the difference is real.
The rest of the guitar is original with no solder joint changes, no pickup goofiness (rewinds or such) and the hardware is pretty damn clean and shiny. The finish is tightly checked throughout, and everything black lights correctly. The headstock logo is in great shape, something that seems to be faded and/or mostly missing on the examples I see online right now. The original trem arm and bridge cover are in the original case. The case is in really nice shape as well, with all latches, hinges and the handle intact.
If you're in the market, this is one to consider for sure. You most definitely will not be disappointed!
- Case: original tweed
- Color: Three tone sunburst
- Weight: 7lbs 10oz
- Body: Two-piece alder with 10/58 date in the mid pickup position, and the requisite nail holes as well as the typical pin-router patterns in cavities
- Neck: One piece maple with black dot inlays and original nut
- Neck thickness measured just behind the fret: .82" at 1st fret, .918" at 7th fret, .976 at 12th fret
- Neck pickup: 6.5K, original
- Mid pickup: 6.19K, original
- Bridge pickup: 6.15K, original
- Pickguard: replaced with original in the case
- Tuners: Original and very clean single line Kluson
- Switch: Original CRL 1425
- Pots: Original, 304849
- In the case: trem arm bridge cover and orig broken pickguard