We just took in a collection of recent and vintage guitars and amps from a really nice guy who happens to be both a player and a discerning collector, including this beautiful and basically brand new McCarty.
The guitar includes upgrades to a 10 top, hybrid hardware (gold bridge studs, saddles, pickup pole pieces, tuner shafts, etc), and the owner purchased PRS simulated bone tuner buttons to add in place of the original gold ones (which are in the case). The tuner buttons match the simulated bone neck binging - a nice touch.
This is an incredibly flexible guitar, thanks to the two push/pull tone pots. PRS innovation abounds on the guitar. I'll paste their description at the end of my text so you can check out everything they're up to with this classic but cutting edge instrument.
There is one very tiny ding on the front, which is very difficult to see or picture. Otherwise it is as new.
Just a great guitar that gives so many sounds, plays beautifully and looks amazing. Any more fluff than that would just be superfluous - I'll spare you my adjectives and just say you are sure to love this guitar!
All original and in the original case with all the paperwork.
- Weight: 8lb 3oz
- Body: 10 Top Maple over Mahogany
- Neck: Mahogany "Pattern Vintage": "The Pattern Vintage neck has the same width measurements as PRS's Pattern neck but is slightly thicker front to back and features an asymmetrical carve with a little less meat on the bass side of the neck toward the nut end and a little less meat on the treble side of the neck from the twelfth fret to the heel."
- Inlay: Birds
- Fretboard: Rosewood with faux bone binding - nice Brazilian-like grain
- Frets: original, like new, 22
- Nut width: 1 11/16"
- Scale: 24.594"
- Radius: 10"
- Neck thickness: First fret, .882" - 7th fret, .94" - 12thh fret, .979"
- Hardware: Orig Nickel/hybrid with gold bridge studs, saddles, tuner shafts and pickup pole pieces, etc
- Pickups: 58/15 LT
- Tuners: Orig with PRS Faux Bone buttons added
- Switch: Original 3-way toggle
- Pots: Orig Two Vol, Two Tone - both tone pots are coil tap push/pull
- In the case: All papers and hang tags as well as original purchase receipt for $4350 plus tax
PRS website description:
The McCarty 594 is a versatile, vintage-inspired instrument that is effortlessly playable. Featuring a bound 22-fret Pattern Vintage neck and slightly thicker back for more enhanced tone and sustain, the McCarty 594 plays in tune, is intonated the entire length of the neck, and feels like a guitar you’ve been playing forever. Whether you are looking for rich, authentic humbucking tones or nuanced, sweet single-coil sounds, the McCarty 594 can seamlessly master both sonic territories thanks to its 58/15 LT pickups, which have now been through the TCI (tuned capacitance and inductance) process, and dual volume and push/pull tone controls. A zinc two-piece bridge and vintage-style tuners anchor this guitar and stay true to the promise of the McCarty family.
“One of my sayings is that everything that touches the string is God – well, that’s really the bridge, the nut, and the tuners. The updates to the McCarty family make a huge difference in their tone. The guitar sustains longer and the tone has more character,” said Paul Reed Smith.
For 2020, PRS has updated this model with TCI-tuned pickups and nitro over celluose (CAB) finish.
In the late 1980’s, Paul Reed Smith called on Ted McCarty to consult with him on guitar design and production techniques. He not only served as a mentor but became a great friend of Paul and everyone he met at PRS. In 1994, PRS released the first McCarty, an instrument that incorporated the full spectrum of techniques and knowledge Paul had gained from Ted as well as his own experiences as a guitar builder.