The venerable Fender low power Tweed Twin Amp w/the 5e8 circuit, an amplifier heard on countless recordings for a reason, they sound that good.
The 5E8-A circuit uses dual 5U4G rectifiers for a more stout response than the other tweed-era amplifiers, but is not as clean as the “high powered” brother. Compared to the other tweed designs, this has a slightly different preamp that allows for slightly more gain, and substituting the 12AX7 in the Bright channel for a 12AY7 pushed the front end a little hotter. We’ve got it set up with the factory tube allotment currently.
Featuring around 40 watts of power that pump through a pair of vintage JBL 12" speaker deliver some of the purest tones imaginable.
This clone/kit amp started out in the shop of Terry Sharp, a long time Fender employee who retired to Redding, CA. Terry unfortunately never finished the build, so our venerable amp tech wrapped up the work. Here's the nerdy stuff... :)
- Vintage power transformer from a Hammond Organ
- Vintage output transformer for 2x6L6 circuits
The amp’s circuit follows the original spec except for:
- Added a variable bias control
- Added 6v filament transformer to cover the second rectifier tube
- Added 200 milli amp choke to cover the max current draw
The JBL speakers are 8 ohms each, not 16 – so the total load on the amp as it sits is 4 ohms.
Part of my job here at MVG involves testing every guitar and amplifier that comes through here, rough job, I know ;) I got to tell you this, it sounds punchier and purer than even the Fender re-issue amps I've played. Here's your chance to own an outstanding, sounding "Fender" low power Tweed Twin 5e8a replica that sounds and looks every bit as good as an original without the price a real vintage one would cost.
- Color: Tweed
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 20 1/4 x 24 1/2 x 10 3/4
- Weight: 51lbs
- Watts: 40
- Speaker 1 brand/model: 12" JBL D123
- Speaker 2 brand/model: 12" JBL D123
- Extension speaker out?: no
- Power tubes: (2) 6l6's GE
- Preamp tubes: (3) 12ay7 (1) 12ax7 RCA's
- Pedal: no
- Power cord: attached 3-prong